FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
Using time machine with a NTFS drive 

Post Using time machine with a NTFS drive
Hi

I'm trying to get time machine to recognize the drive. It can't see the external NTFS drive. However I can see, inside the tuxera preference, that my external NTFS drive is mounted.

is there something missing?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 18:29

Post Re: Using time machine with a NTFS drive
Time Machine only supports HFS+ volumes, so that is why you can't use it. It's not wise to use NTFS for mac only stuff anway as the permissions and ALCS don't translate 100%.

There is no way that you can use NTFS with time machine. Time Machine may be able to backup a HDD formatted as NTFS using Time Machine, but you can't use a NTFS as a Time Machine drive. Stick with HFS+ for this.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 01:08

Post Re: Using time machine with a NTFS drive
Yes, you can do it. Time Machine works on HFS+, but it also works on sparsebundle disk-images. That's how it works with networks drives.

I wrote detailed steps at http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p1847/use-a-windows-ntfs-or-linux-or-other-formatted-disk-for-apple-time-machine-backups but if you've already installed Tuxera then in outline it goes like this:
    * Create a sparsebundle disk image
    * Create a Time Machine preferences file inside the sparsebundle which contains the UUID of your machine
    * Copy the sparsebundle to your disk
    * Mount it
    * Tell Time Machine to use it.

The first two steps are the difficult ones, but it only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 18:50
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]