FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 04:22

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
"The file name you specified is not valid or too long." 

Post "The file name you specified is not valid or too long."
I recently installed Tuexera NTFS for OS X trial in place of NTFS-3G in order to get better write speed.

The files wrote out to disk fine, but when I mounted the filesystem on a Windows 7 (64-bit) machine, I get the following error when trying to copy or move files that had large amounts of resource fork on them:

"The file name you specified is not valid or too long."

I can recover the file by doing TYPE BADFILE.ABC > FIXED_FILE.ABC at the command line, since this throws away any EAs.

Any tips? I have no idea how to manipulate resource forks on Windows. I think they're being stored as extended attributes?

Thanks,
Joshua Rodd

Wed Dec 29, 2010 21:58

Post Re: "The file name you specified is not valid or too long."
I've got the same problem. Very annoying and with no obvious explanation as the file names have no visible illegal characters and are not too long.

KSB

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48
Tuxera Developer

Hi,

Mac OS X has recently started to write out extended attributes with the ':' character in their names, which makes Windows Explorer unhappy (it's very easy to 'upset' Windows Explorer).
Tuxera NTFS for Mac 2010.12-RC employs a name translation method based on Microsoft's own Services for Mac, which should fix this issue. All file and attribute (alternate data stream) names are translated into a format that Windows Explorer can handle.

So please try out version 2010.12-RC. It should fix this issue. Not for existing files but for new ones.

Regards,

- Erik

Thu Jan 20, 2011 18:49

I have the same problem. I've copied about 100 GB of data using NTFS for Mac. will the problem solved just by moving the file to another folder within the same NTFS partition using the new version?

Sat Jan 22, 2011 08:33
Tuxera Developer

joshias wrote:
I have the same problem. I've copied about 100 GB of data using NTFS for Mac. will the problem solved just by moving the file to another folder within the same NTFS partition using the new version?

No you would need to remove it and copy it again. However, there are some other problems with 2010.12-RC, so I would advise you to wait for the next version.
If many people would require it, we could publish a cleanup tool that fixes all existing files.

Regards,

- Erik

Sat Jan 22, 2011 09:52

Problem solved. I ran the following code from the root of my problematic NTFS partition(s) and the files returned normal

Code:
xattr -r -v -d com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment ./*
xattr -r -v -d com.apple.ResourceFork ./*

all files having the said extended attributes problem solved without errors throughout the whole volume

may this code be helpful for you

-Joshia

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:06
Tuxera Developer

joshias wrote:
Problem solved. I ran the following code from the root of my problematic NTFS partition(s) and the files returned normal

Code:
xattr -r -v -d com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment ./*
xattr -r -v -d com.apple.ResourceFork ./*

all files having the said extended attributes problem solved without errors throughout the whole volume

Good initiative. However, only the "com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment" attributes really need to be removed. The resource fork attributes can be left there as they will not cause any problems.

Regards,

- Erik

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47

oops, forgot to mention that before using those commands I searched for the attributes using "ls -l@", and it only shows two of them so I think that's all.

And, those problematic files are the ones I downloaded from the internet using iGetter. other prople's result might vary, I suppose.

the scripts found on the net doesn't even work (the one used to remove all attributes recursively) so I tried it manually.

also, thanks for the information. but I prefer to remove all as it won't leave any unnecessary bytes in my files :D

Sat Jan 22, 2011 15:08

Hi, thank you very much for opening this thread, I was getting crazy with this problem!
I started thinking my 16 GB USB pendrive was getting old and defective, but the fact that it seemed to work fine on OSX made me think that visiting these forums could maybe be useful.

Tuxera developers, please fix this as soon as possible, thanks; I use my pendrive daily at work to transfer files from my Mac to different PCs, and this problem is a real pain.

Anyway, the attribute name can be different than the one reported. A file I tested had the "com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms" extended attribute.

Regards.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 00:55

It can be a total pain when this happens and after trying lots of different ways to deal with it frustrating is the only polite word I can think of using to describe how I felt. I found something called http://longpathtool.com/ and would definitely recommend it to others struggling with the same problem.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 03:30

Uhm, I thought this problem was fixed in the latest version, and indeed I didn't encounter it anymore. I'm using Tuxera NTFS 2011.4.2.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:50

Hello is there a character limit?So we can't get errors?thanks. Image

Fri Jan 27, 2012 09:18

Feliziom, it's not a problem with characters or filename length.
The problem is with special file attributes, which Tuxera should handle differently AFAIK.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 15:45

Post Long Path Tool
I have used “Long Path Tool” in this situation and it helped me easily and quickly. This tool can fix all the error messages like:

1. Path too long
2. Cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk
3. Cannot delete file: Access is denied
4. There has been a sharing violation.
5. The source or destination file may be in use.
6. The file is in use by another program or user.
7. The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.

and all other related error messages.
I hope you will find this solution helpful and don’t forget to leave your comments.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:07

Yeah it is very common problem for all as for copy long path file or to delete. I found complete solution for these types of problems at http://pathtoodeep.com/ with more good descriptions. Thanks

Tue Sep 11, 2012 14:36

Hello

Long path tool is the best solution for your problem. try it and solve your problem

______________ :)

Mon Sep 01, 2014 13:00

“Long Path Tool” can fix this error
Thanks

Wed Jul 15, 2015 22:27
Profile WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]