FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 07:32

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
Problems with locked folders, changes to Windows 

Post Problems with locked folders, changes to Windows
Summary:
I've been trying out Tuxera NTFS for Mac, and found a problem with locked folders. When accessing my Windows disk from the Mac, many of the folders are locked (such as "My Documents", "Desktop", "My Pictures", and many others), and have the little padlock icon, so it's not possible to add or remove files. I was able to unlock folders by doing "Get Info" on the Mac, and unchecking the "locked" box. But in addition to being annoying to have to do this every time, I also found that it broke various things under Windows, if the folder was left unlocked.

What I was trying to do was:
Drag and drop some .jpg files from my Mac into the "My Pictures" folder on my Windows NTFS partition.

What actually happened was:
At first I couldn't put any files into the "My Pictures" folder, because it said I didn't have write permission. Then I restarted in Windows, but I couldn't find anything to indicate that there was no write permission. Restarting again with the Mac, I found that I could open the "Get Info" window for the folder, and uncheck the "locked" checkbox. After that I could drag and drop files to it.

The next time I was using Windows, I noticed that the "My Pictures" folder had been renamed to just "Pictures", it's custom icon was missing and replaced with a generic folder icon, and when I opened the folder, the "Slide Show" button at the top of the window was missing. I could not figure out how to fix it.

After restarting with the Mac, and again checking the "locked" checkbox in the "Get Info" window, then restarting again in Windows, I found that the "My Pictures" folder was back to normal.

There is no information about this in the manual, FAQ, or website.

What I expected to happen:
I would be able to drag and drop files into the "My Pictures" folder without issue. Folders that were not locked in Windows, would not be locked on the Mac. Unlocking folders on the Mac would not affect folder names, icons, buttons, or other standard parts of Windows.

Comments:
It took me quite some time to figure out what was going on, and to restore my Windows system to its normal working state. Apparently the cause of this is that Tuxera uses a hidden property of Windows folders, which is only used to indicate to Windows that a folder has a custom icon/layout. Tuxera uses it instead to indicate to the Mac that a folder should be locked and un-writable. The hidden property does not have any relationship to whether a folder is locked or not on Windows. This makes no sense at all to me, so I wrote to Tuxera. They confirmed that my analysis was correct, but their response was that this is by design, it's expected behaviour, and that in their opinion the usefulness of this feature outweighs the drawbacks. They might consider adding an option to change this in some future version, but nobody has ever complained about it. So I decided to post a description of it here, in case anyone else is frustrated by all these inexplicable locked folders or changes to their Windows system, and/or is evaluating whether to purchase Tuxera NTFS. In the end, I decided to purchase the competing product Paragon NTFS instead, which does not have this problem, and allows straightforward access to Windows folders (I have no relationship with Paragon). I hope this helps someone...

Sun Nov 24, 2013 21:12
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]