SD in Dash, USB in Glovebox. Software from Tuxera.
Today car buyers expect connectivity with their portable devices. Tuxera is the trusted market leader supplying complete file system interoperability software stack for automotive infotainment systems. Collaborating with the leading car infotainment manufacturers, Tuxera file systems have been integrated in the most popular automotive platforms including different Linux distributions — also the GENIVI reference platform — Windows CE Embedded and QNX. There is need for the following different file systems:
- exFAT is needed for SD card reader interface, usually located on the dashboard besides or instead of the CD player. exFAT is a must have if users attach the latest 64 GB or higher capacity SD memory cards to view pictures, play MP3s and videos.
- NTFS is needed for USB storage, typically located in the glove box or dash. NTFS is a must have if users attach a Windows-formatted portable hard drives and want to play MP3s and videos. NTFS is the default Windows file system today and most portable hard drives are pre-formatted as NTFS.
- FAT is needed for both USB portable hard drives and SD memory cards up to 32 GB. It is the old standard but still widely used.
This is what Microsoft says:
exFAT is a modern file system designed to handle very large files, and we are pleased to support Tuxera’s development of an exFAT file system implementation.
- Desay SV Automotive Selects Tuxera FAT and exFAT to Power In-Vehicle Infotainment Systems, July 30, 2014
- Tuxera File Systems Integrated with Wind River In-Vehicle Infotainment Platform, May 20, 2014
- Tuxera exFAT Approved for Works with GENIVI Program, January 7, 2014
- Microsoft & Tuxera: In-vehicle infotainment gets boost from new Microsoft exFAT file system deals, June 19, 2013
- Alpine Selects Tuxera File Systems for BMW Automotive Infotainment Systems, September 12, 2012
- e.solutions Selects Tuxera exFAT for Audi and Volkswagen Infotainment Systems, September 5, 2012
- Tuxera Joins GENIVI Alliance, September 30, 2011
- Tuxera Launches Tuxera File System Suite, First to Combine NTFS, exFAT and HFS+ for Android, October 27, 2010
- Tuxera Extends exFAT and NTFS Support to QNX Neutrino RTOS, September 22, 2010
- Tuxera NTFS for Windows CE Released, July 3, 2010
- Tuxera Signs Intellectual Property Agreement with Microsoft, August 26, 2009