- November 15, 2009 /
- by Szabolcs Szakacsits
We are happy to announce the next stable NTFS-3G release. It is based on the latest Advanced NTFS-3G release which is already used by several distributions as the default NTFS driver. The changes include:
- New: Full file ownership and permissions support. The ownership and permissions of files are interoperable with Windows and conforms to the POSIX rules.
- New: POSIX ACL support. The ACLs are an extension to ownership and permissions as defined in POSIX.
- New: Optional Windows-type inheritance of ACLs.
- New: Full extended attributes support for all namespaces: user, system, security and trusted.
- New: Junction points support. The junction points and symbolic links created by Windows are seen as symbolic links.
- New: Access is possible to NTFS internal data like Windows style archive bit and file attributes. They are mapped to extended attributes for easier access.
- New: Compression write support: sequential writing to compressed files is supported.
- New: Support copying and restoring encrypted files without decrypting them.
- New: Support getting and setting high-resolution file timestamps.
- New: Support to get, set and remove DOS filenames.
- New: Tools for managing ownership, permissions and ACLs: secaudit checks the integrity of ownership, permissions and ACL, usermap gives help to configure ownership.
- New: Implemented setchgtime() on Mac OS X.
- Fix: Improved Windows junction and symlink handling.
- Fix: Improved ACL handling.
- Fix: Unicode normalization on Mac OS X.
- Fix: Implemented true fsync() on Mac OS X
- Change: Performance optimizations. Frequently used data are cached to improve speed. Space allocation for fragmented and sparse files has been improved.
We are also very glad to announce the new NTFS-3G lead developer, Jean-Pierre Andre who consistently demonstrated outstanding problem solving skills, taking great attention to the details and the ability to ensure the high-quality and reliability of the NTFS-3G driver in the past years.
The source code of the latest stable driver is available at http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/
Tuxera Open Source Team