While the NTFS-3G project globally aims at providing a stable NTFS driver for several operating systems such as Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Solaris etc., the advanced branch specifically aims at developing, maturing, and releasing features to get user feedback before they are integrated into the main branch.
The advanced releases are designed as add-ons to the latest stable release, so they benefit from all the improvements and fixes integrated in the main branch. This facilitates the subsequent integration of newer features both for the developer and the user.
The documentation on the features which were developped as part of former advanced versions is available here, and updated to reflect the latest versions :
- File ownership and permissions: the ownership and permissions of files, implemented according to POSIX rules, are interoperable with Windows.
- POSIX ACLs: the ACLs, are an extension to ownership and permissions, as defined in a POSIX draft.
- Junction points: the junction points and symbolic links created by Windows are seen as symbolic links.
- Access to NTFS Internal data: a few useful internal data are mapped to extended attributes for easier access.
- Compression: creating and updating compressed files are supported.
- Tools for managing ownership, permissions and ACLs: secaudit checks the integrity of ownership, permissions and ACL, usermap gives help to configure ownership.
The available packages are extensions to recent stable versions. They pass standard tests, they have been tested on top of i386 and x86_64 (small-endian) and M68K (big-endian) CPUs, and their interoperability has been tested against Windows XP (SP2 and SP3) and Vista (SP1 and SP2). Nevertheless problems may have crept in, so you should backup your valuable data.
OpenIndiana users : please see the OpenIndiana page
|Fedora 19 RPM for i386||ntfs-3g-2013.1.13AR.4-1.fc19.i386.rpm
|Fedora 19 RPM for x86_64||ntfs-3g-2013.1.13AR.4-1.fc19.x86_64.rpm
|Executable for Knoppix 5.1.1||linked-ntfs-3g-2013.1.13AR.4.zip|
|Fedora 19 RPM for i386||ntfs-3g-2013.1.13AR.3-1.fc19.i386.rpm
|Fedora 19 RPM for x86_64||ntfs-3g-2013.1.13AR.3-1.fc19.x86_64.rpm
|Executable for Knoppix 5.1.1||linked-ntfs-3g-2013.1.1AR.3.zip|
|Miscellaneous tools for NTFS||tools.zip|
|md5 for integrity checks||advanced-ntfs-3g.md5|
To install these versions, just follow the directions for a base version. To benefit from some features, you may have to define options at mount time and insert configuration files in the directory .NTFS-3G of the NTFS partition. See the relevant pages for details.
To report any problem, please post to the support forum
This page is maintained by Jean-Pierre André