We are happy to announce the stable, merged release of ntfsprogs and NTFS-3G.
The merged codebase will help to avoid duplicated maintenance of the large, complex NTFS codebase, so development can focus on enhanced unctionality, reliability, and interoperability in the future.
Several alternatives have been considered how to organize the code (library, tools, driver). The preferred solution is the simplest way which is one large package, like Samba. So, there will be need to install only one NTFS package (ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs), not two (ntfsprogs, ntfs-3g).
The code and status is available at
git clone git://ntfs-3g.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/ntfs-3g/ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs
The new package is a compatible, drop-in replacement for both ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs.
The package contains the following improvements, changes and fixes:
- ntfs-3g: fixed possible wrong hole size when overwriting compressed data.
- ntfs-3g: fixed listxattr() to environments with extended attributes.
- ntfs-3g: fixed ENOSPC when making an index non-resident.
- ntfs-3g: fixed partial mapping ahead of mapped runlist.
- ntfs-3g: enabled forensic mounting (currently same as read-only).
- ntfs-3g: expand an attribute without creating a hole.
- ntfs-3g: improved appending data to a long hole.
- ntfs-3g: deny direct modifications to metadata files.
- ntfs-3g: option ‘acl’ to request the use of Posix ACLs.
- ntfsclone: fixed reading old big-endian ntfsclone images.
- ntfsclone: avoided writing beyond allocated variable.
- ntfsclone: close volume and cleanup when exiting.
- ntfsclone: new option not to clear the timestamps.
- ntfsclone: sync created image before remounting.
- ntfsclone: use a stream to produce aligned writes during image creation.
- ntfsinfo: display times in UTC.
- mkntfs: don’t store full bitmap and logfile in memory.
- mkntfs: set a volume UUID if option -U.
- mkntfs: fixed $MFT allocated size.
- mkntfs: fixed allocated size of resident unnamed data.
- ntfsfix: new option -n for no action.
- ntfsfix: try alternate boot sector if cannot start up.
- ntfsfix: check and fix the upcase table.
- ntfsfix: try to fix file systems with incorrect size.
- ntfsundelete: fixed a segfault.
- ntfsresize: new option –info-mb-only.
- ntfsresize: new option –check.
The release candidate is available at
Many thanks to Jean-Pierre Andre and Erik Larsson to make this happen!
Tuxera Open Source Team